AMWS is fully committed to the professional development of our members. As a result, we offer a variety of workshops on wetland science and regulatory updates. Non-members are welcome to attend. However, membership is encouraged through reduced workshop rates and other benefits.
AMWS workshops are recognized for their value: nowhere else will you find top working wetland scientists "giving back" to the profession at such affordable rates. As a result, AMWS members only are offered the limited number of seats during the first two weeks of posting an event.
As an added value of AMWS membership, we also offer social networking opportunities with other environmental professionals. These events generally take place in central Massachusetts, and may include appetizers and drinks, as well as a speaker.
Left Photo: Courtesy Brent Baeslack (Haverhill ConCom) - Instructors Dwight Dunk (CDM) and Chad Sumner (SumCo Eco-Contracting) discuss the riprap foot of the restored slope at low tide during the field portion of the 9/30/11 AMWS Riverbank Stabilization Techniques Workshop in Haverhill, Mass. Of note, the tree stump in the water is secured by cables, and was added to aid stability and provide fish habitat.
Right Photo: Courtesy of Patrick Garner (Patrick Garner Co.) - Instructor Art Allen (EcoTec) at a deep hole featured at the AMWS Advanced Soil Identification Workshop, held June 22nd & 23rd, 2010, in Grafton, Mass.
Above Photo: Courtesy of Briscoe Lang (Pare Corporation). The field portion of the AMWS workshop, Classic River Morphology, was held 9/26/14
on the West Branch of the Swift River in Belchertown. Here instructors Heidi Davis (MassDEP), Paul Beaulieu (Tighe & Bond) and Patrick Garner
(Patrick Garner Co.) explain bankfull.
Additional workshop photo, courtesy Heidi Davis (DEP). 4/17/16 Interdunal Swales walk in Ipswich, courtesy Lana Spillman (Topsfield ConCom).
UPCOMING 2018 AMWS EVENTS
01/21/18 FREE AMWS WINTER BOTANY NATURE WALK WITH NATURALIST JOHN DICK
02/18/18 FREE AMWS EAGLES & OWLS NATURE WALK WITH NATURALIST JOHN DICK
6:00 a.m. - noon
Salisbury State Park and Chain Bridge
John Dick says, "We will start early at Salisbury State Park, near the mouth of the Merrimack River, to look for various owls, then move along to breakfast at Connie’s Wagon Wheel (137 Elm Street/Route 110) and close the day out on an island between Newburyport and Amesbury for wintering eagles.
"Long experience has taught me to promise nothing but early darkness, followed by light and breakfast. I have often seen snowy, great horned, screech, saw-whet, and short-eared owls on these trips, but owls are inclined to be owls. Eagles are generally present, but we have gone without a really good sighting the last three years.
"Not trying to talk the trip down – just want folks to know that birding’s a funny thing – sometimes the birds just have someplace else to be."
For more info, contact: email@example.com
COMING SOON! HALF-DAY AMWS PROJECT MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP LED BY MIKE SEEKAMP (SEEKAMP ENVIRONMENTAL), "WHAT COULD GO WRONG?"
Additonal workshops now being organized!
Not an AMWS member? See JOIN section on this website!
AMWS WORKSHOP POLICY:
(1) Fees are due in advance of the workshop. Should you require reimbursement by your employer, an invoice will be provided upon request.
(2) In the unlikely event that we have insufficient registrations two (2) weeks before a workshop, we reserve the right to cancel it. Your fee will be returned in full.
(3) If you must cancel seven (7) days or more before a workshop, your fee will be returned, less $25. No refunds six (6) days or less before a workshop. Note: Substitutions are fine and may be made without charge, as long as the difference between member and non-member fees is paid, and there is no one on the Wait List. Please note that your substitute will not receive a Certificate of Attendance unless AMWS is notified before the workshop so the Wait List may be checked and availability confirmed.
**We regret the cancellation charge, but your absence may affect whether the workshop is held, and will affect the instructors, who key their presentation to participants. Additionally, your absence affects catering, the number of printed materials and AMWS itself--as we have fixed expenses.
(4) Registration is only guaranteed when you are given confirmation by email. Do not assume you are registered otherwise. Workshop participants often receive box lunches or supplies that are not ordered in excess. Additionally, the instructor/participant ratio must be maintained for optimal learning.
(5) Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. A Wait List will be maintained.
(6) CEUs are usually available from the certifying authority. All participants are given a Certificate of Attendance.
NOTE: As of 1/01/11, Continuing Ed units are no longer pre-approved by the N.H. Board. You still need continuing education, but it is now call Continuing Education Hours (versus units), w/ 1 hour = 1 CEH. It is the responsibility of the candidate to decide whether or not the course is relevant to the practice of Soil or Wetland Science. For more info, see www.nh.gov/jtboard/home.htm
WORKSHOPS OUTSIDE OF AMWS
AMWS ALSO LISTS ENVIRONMENTAL WORKSHOPS, COURSES AND MEETINGS OFFERED BY OTHER GROUPS that may be of interest to our members. Mention of a particular conference, course, or company does not imply endorsement by AMWS.
(Shown in order of last received)
January 19, 2018 (Friday)
NHANRS 2018 Annual Conference
8am - 4pm/Grappone Center/70 Constitution Avenue/Concord, NH
Check NHANRS.org for the agenda and conference flyer or
March 16, 2018 (Friday)
SWCS Southern New England Chapter
The SWCS Southern New England Chapter's annual Winter Conference will be held on Friday, March 16, 2018 in Sturbridge, Massachusetts at the Publick House Historic Inn. This years focus is Forestry, and in conjunction with this conference, EnviroCert International, Inc. (ECI) will be leading review courses and a next day exam for several professional certifications including but not limited to the CPESC and CESSWI. Registration for the ECI courses and exams are currently available at http://booking.envirocertintl.org/, and is a separate registration from the Winter Conference. Registration for the SWCS SNEC Winter Conference will open soon.
you have an event to list, please contact AMWS Administrator
Copyright AMWS 2018